METRO KIDAPAWAN WATER DISTRICT
Through Republic Act 1316, an amount of P 1.2 million was appropriated to finance the construction of waterworks system in Kidapawan and Makilala under the defunct NAWASA. Its construction started in 1956 and it’s operation in 1958. This was under the management of the Municipality of Kidapawan. In 1975, the water system was transferred to the Provincial Government of Cotabato.
When Presidential Decree 198 that is commonly known as the Provincial Water Utilities Act of 1973 was enacted, the Provincial Leadership of North Cotabato, then under Governor Carlos B. Cajelo thought of creating a Water District. This is because the existing NAWASA does not meet the need of the community it serves. Water quality is unsatisfactory, pressure is inadequate and reliability if service is poor. In fact, many persons received no piped water service. Conditions of service continue to worsen because the existing water system were deteriorating faster than they are maintained or replaced and the system was not being expanded at a rate sufficient to match population growth.
The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of North Cotabato then, through the initiative and instigation of the former Carlos B. Cajelo, passed Resolution No. 122, series of 1976, forming the North Cotabato Water District on December 14, 1976. The municipalities included in its formation were Kidapawan, Makilala and Matalam He also appointed the first five Board of Directors of the Water District.
The Interim Board of Directors of NCWD then were composed of the following:
- Dr. Hospicio Ho, representing the Business Sector
- Mr. Alfredo R. Respecio, representing the Civic Organizations
- Mrs. Marina K. Malbas, representing theWomen’s Organizations
- Atty. Norberto L. Ela, representing the Professional Sector
- Mrs. Naida S. Babol, representing the Educational Sector
PHYSICAL FACILITIES THEN:
NCWD inherited from the defunct NAWASA a 151 cubic meter reinforced concrete ground reservoir constructed in 1967 at Poblacion Makilala, several kilometers of transmission and distribution lines and a water weir constructed in 1956 at Lapaan Spring, Upper Perez, Kidapawan.
FORMATION OF MKWD
NCWD started its operation on February 01, 1977 and was issued by the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) a Conditional Certificate of Conformance (CCC) #041 dated May 06, 1977 that entitles the Water District to financial, technical, and administrative assistance. In the beginning, the Water District has a total of 1, 847 concessionaires. This is broken down into 1,700 for Kidapawan and 147 for Makilala.
On July 20, 1979 LWUA awarded NCWD a Certificate of Recognition for having attained a high degree of operational performance for the year 1978.
The Immediate Improvement Program (IIP) was completed in December 1983; the improved system provides the municipalities of Makilala and Kidapawan areas of approximately 674 hectares of areas served, and increase of 17% over the old system. The terrain then is generally sloping with elevations from 175 to 350 meters above main sea level.
The completion of the IIP brought number of households served to 5, 482 with three sources of water: Saguing River, Pinang-inaman, and Singkato Springs. The transmission and distribution lines totaled to 39km with transmission lines from 100- 300mm in diameter.
In 1984, when other water districts were formed within the Province of North Cotabato, the Board of Directors deemed it necessary to change the name of North Cotabato Water District (NCWD) to Metro Kidapawan Water District (MKWD). This was also the time when the former Municipal Mayor Carlos Lebrillo, Sr. of the Municipality of Magpet through a Sangguniang Bayan Resolution signified his intention to annex Magpet to MKWD.
In 1989, MKWD implemented and constructed two projects. These were the 250,000 gallon reservoir with a cost of P 1.8 million at its 2.0 hectares lot at Brgy. Sudapin, Kidapawan, and its administration building at a cost of P 1.0 million at the MKWD’s 7,000 sq. meters lot at Brgy. Lanao. The MKWD although independent from the National Government in terms of funding, maintains its relationship with the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) and the Local Government Units like the Municipal Government, the Provincial Government, and the Office of the Congressman in the District. The Local Government Units also extended assistance for the implementation of several projects in terms of financing and materials needed.
On September 1991 the Supreme Court in an en banc resolution had decided that water districts throughout the country are now considered as Government Owned or Controlled Corporation, thus, it falls under the jurisdiction of the Commission on Audit (COA) Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), Civil Service Commission (CSC), and the Department of Budget and Management.
On March 2000, the Municipality of Matalam was annexed to Metro Kidapawan Water District. The total number of service connections in Matalam as of December 31, 2002 is 139.
Effective March 2003, the Local Water Utilities Administration approved the upward re- categorization of MKWD from MEDIUM to LARGE Category, with 71 points earned upon evaluation.
Last 2016 MKWD was recategorized by LWUA to a Category A Water District in accordance to the issued Revised Manual on Local Water District Categorization by LWUA. Currently the District has more than 30,000 active service connections.
General Managers of the Water District, one after the other were, Engr. Gregorio Rizardo (1976- 1977), Mr. Wilfredo A. Alqueza II (1977- 1994), Mrs. Adela P. Teh (1994 – 2001), Dr. Maximino R. Pacifico (2001-2002) and 2002 to present, Ms. Stella M. Gonzales, mps.
At present, the MKWD Board of Directors consists of the following:
- DR. ALFREDO S. VILLARICO, Chairperson
- EMMANUEL E. ZAMORAS, Vice Chairperson
- ALAN G. PANDIO, Secretary
- ALFONSO JACK F. SANDIQUE, Member
- VIRGINIA L. DAYADAY, Member